Hi, I am a very talkative person at home and with my friends do enjoy public speaking, debating and many other roles which requires talking to an audience. My main job is a management role in a corporate. I am a visiting lecturer at a university as well. I generally enjoy what I do. My corporate gig is a new job after my graduation and has been 1 month since I joined. At office I am very quiet when as team we talk. 5 of us were selected as part of a programme so all my colleagues are new and we are all are on the same role and level. but i have difficulty talking to them as well as people in the office. When its related to work I talk but in terms of asking questions or becoming friends i find it extremely difficult. I actually don't think its an issue but people tend to see me as silent and not connecting. i don't ask much questions when trained because I understand the content very well. I generally prefer being alone and an extremely private person. But with any one a one on one conversation I can do and am quite chatty and very loud. I need to improve this because my KPIs are being misjudged due to my silence and I don't want just talk and seem fake .My colleagues perosnal conversations topics are not something I can contribute to but I enjoy listening to them. Anything I can do improve this situation ? Thank You My favourite industry to work though is humanitarian work and there I tend to talk more than I do in my office,
Thank you for your question.
Well , this is what I observed through your question.
1. It's not a considerable problem to get advance consultation..
2. Since you are a graduate and acting as a visiting lecturer it can be improved your personal adjustment step by step.
3. Difficulty in talking to your corporate audience is a subtle issue of having fear of public speaking ( sever disability we call Glossophobia ) This is a very common psychological issue that effects more than 25% of people .
4. Other related facts in your story is quite normal and you don't need to change them. Some are very good characteristic features. Specially listen to your colleagues and enjoying , learning methods, not to have unnecessary talking etc..
5. But I think you should bit adjust to your new corporate role from this manner since it is the expectation of your company.
6. Communicating your ideas clearly and presenting them openly in a public forum is an essential component of success across several domains of life. Being a good public speaker can help you advance your career, grow your business, and form strong collaborations. It can help you promote ideas and move people to action on issues that affect them directly and society at large. To do any of these things well requires a fair amount of standing in front of an audience and delivering a pitch, an idea, or a body of work.
7. Simply you can improve this by having cognitive approaching techniques, relaxation techniques, and also by well preparation.
8. It is worth to do a Human resource management course followed by a professional psychological study program since your are working with a management and advisory crew.
Try on above method and see how you are strong and skillful . I hope you can be a professional strong personality in few years if you improve this . Because you have the ability to become a role model.
Keep in mind being silent is not an option always. But you can keep your things personal and private without involving to your professional carrier
I hope we have helped you.
If you have any further questions please contact Yeheli again,
Always by your side,
Yeheli.ප්රශ්න අසනු ලබයි 31 Aug 2019 Sat 9:46 PM